Mitutoyo Micrometer Case

Design files for this project can be found here and here

1/28/2017 – Updated rendered pictures to remove artifacts and fixed wood type for bottom half of the case

Here’s a fun project I made earlier this year: a replacement case for a Mitutoyo Micrometer as the one that it came with didn’t hold the micrometer very securely. To make a replacement case, I first modeled the micrometer as accurately as possible then did a subtract operation to get the initial model of the case. Following that, a bit of cleanup was necessary in order to smooth out the design so that it could be milled out relatively quickly. The top half of the case was milled from Peruvian Walnut while the bottom half was milled from Maple. Both sides were left unfinished as I didn’t want any oils or lacquer in contact with the micrometer.

Milling Progress Pictures